|Arc||Second Year Arc|
| ← Previous Chapter|
| Next Chapter →|
Although she doesn't care about winning or losing, Ruri's swim team is aiming to make it to nationals. On the day of the competition, the whole gang shows up to cheer on Ruri. Kosaki explains that Ruri is really good at swimming.
Facing fierce competition is able to pass the preliminaries. However, Ruri places second to Haneko Chounouchi, another talented swimmer, who insults her and her fans (the gang). Ruri injures herself while saving Haneko from a sabotage attempt by other swimmers.
Ruri gives up, reasoning that this is just a hobby, and she never cared about winning or losing. Kosaki comes to encourage her to do her best, even though Ruri doesn't care about winning. Ruri decides to compete with her hurt foot.
Ruri wins the second race against Haneko, making it to nationals, and the whole gang comes to celebrate with her. Ruri notes that being cheered on isn't that bad.
Chapter Notes Edit
Character Revelations Edit
- Ruri treats swimming as a hobby, although she is a very talented swimmer
- Ruri won many swimming trophies in middle school, and was recruited by many high schools for her swimming skills
- Ruri single-handedly turned the mediocre Bonyari High swim team into a team that could compete for nationals
- Ruri does not care about winning, losing, or earning trophies
- Ruri is known as the "mermaid of Bonyari High School" among swimmers
- Ruri doesn't think that people cheering her on affects her performance
- Ruri finds the determination to win after Kosaki encourages her
- Raku, Chitoge, Kosaki, Tsugumi, Marika, and Shū come to cheer on Ruri
- Tsugumi and Chitoge make Ruri a banner, and Marika states she is only there to be with Raku
- This chapter introduces three swimmers: the "flying fish of Ukari High School", the "man-eating shark of Otori Girls' High", and Haneko Chounouchi, the "aquatic butterfly of Shikari Girls' Academy"
- Despite being called the butterfly, Haneko swims using the front crawl
- The two other named swimmers attempt to trip Haneko with an empty can
- Ruri wins the competition using the butterfly stroke